Room for adopted mother/daughter pairs too! Dinah Lance and Sin, whose disappearance from the new 52 hurts me every day.
The parents of Trayvon Martin have launched a website and a political action committee aimed at fighting the proliferation of stand-your-ground laws.
Change For Trayvon will collect funds to be “distributed to candidates, elected officials and efforts which support the mission of … revising stand-your-ground laws across the nation to ensure there is judicial or prosecutorial oversight”.
A video on the website shows Martin’s father, Tracy Martin, and mother, Sybrina Fulton, sitting side by side, urging viewers to join their campaign. “We need your help to change the laws which keep parents like ourselves from finding peace,” Tracy Martin says.
The fatal shooting of Trayvon Martin by George Zimmerman, a neighbourhood watch volunteer in Sanford, Florida, prompted weeks of protest and racially charged debate. Police cited Florida’s stand-your-ground law, which allows the use of deadly force if threatened, in their decision not to arrest the gunman.
Zimmerman, who claims he shot the unarmed 17-year-old in self-defence, was eventually charged with second-degree murder and is out on bail awaiting trial.
Jane H. Hill, The Everyday Language of White Racism (via wretchedoftheearth)
This is like when me and my white soon-to-be husband were looking for places. I’d call up and they’d say, “Come on down! Get an application!”. Because I don’t “sound” black.
Then I’d walk in 2 minutes later and they’d be all, “Oh. Sorry, we just rented it.”
Then I’d send him in and he’d get an application.
The best part? Walking back in while he was completing the application. “Oh, they gave you an application? But they told me it was just rented. ODD. THAT. I’m going to report them so let’s just skip this place, m’kay?” The looks on their faces and the pathetic apologies were just too much fun.
Used to deal with the same thing with road trips. Hotels would tell me that there were no vacancies, but my white roommate would go in and get us a room, usually cheaper than advertised.
I do similar stuff at restauants and other places of business with my white bf. At least it makes it easier to know where not to go!
Reblogging again for the commentary
But we’re just supposed to *trust* and think everything is an *isolated* incident.
Not so sophisticated scholars, were they? I mean this really, really shouldn’t be all that surprising.
It shouldn’t be surprising, but I guarantee that most white people find it unbelievable
I’m going to reblog this every time I see it on my dash. My parents pointed out how this phenomenon worked when we were moving to PA (they’d get steered to crummier neighborhoods and have to insist on being shown others). Housing discrimination is still pretty widespread and the gatekeepers? Tend to either intentionally or due to unchecked bias reinforce the status quo.
I’m giving this one four weeks before I call it
The problem with a history of depression and anxiety is that you can never know if you’re “just having one of those weeks” or if you’re sliding back down into those places you swore you’d never go again.
I wonder if the “not dressed like that” isn’t so much a testament to how the Sheriff thinks gay guys dress, but to how he knows Stiles acts when he is trying to impress someone he likes.
Because Stiles did dress to impress for the prom when he was going with Lydia. And he seems to the type, as shown in other ways, to go ALL OUT when he is interested in someone and thinks he maybe possibly have a shot.
“Not dressed like that. I remember when you first met Lydia Martin and you wore a suit to school every day for a month, even though you were in the second grade and had no earthly reason to wear a suit. I remember when you met Deputy Smith’s daughter and dressed like you worked at Hollister for almost a year until you realized that her “best friend, Mary” was actually her girlfriend. I even remember when you first met Scott and wanted him to like you and convinced your mother to buy you a copy of whatever t-shirt Scott would wear so that you could have a copy and you could wear them and be twins because Scott didn’t have anyone else to wear Wonder Woman t-shirts with. YOU ARE NOT SMOOTH STILES AND YOU WOULD NEVER WEAR YOUR SOMETIMES PJ TOP TO A CLUB IF YOU THOUGHT A PERSON YOU LIKED WOULD SEE YOU”
Why do I have so many feelings about this show? I don’t even watch it, for god’s sake.
This is my missing friend. His name is Carl Lucas. He’s a student at Morehouse College in Atlanta, GA. His current hometown is In Virginia. He literally seems to have vanished into thin air after Thursday, November 15, 2012. No one knows where he has gone.
If anyone knows anything. Please contact us. Or Atlanta Police Department. We’ve filed a report there.
Oh God. Boosting, boo! If I hear anything I’ll let you know.
first off, idk if you are more than one stupid person or only one stupid person but i’ll answer these all in one post so as not to bother my followers too much so here goes ————————————————
how does it feel to be completely and absolutely wrong? every scientific advancement? just because the man gets credit for it, doesn’t mean he actually did it.
- take the discovery of the double helix in DNA. credit goes to James Watson and Francis Crick. but they were able to make their discovery because of STOLEN information from Rosalind Franklin who was never given any type of official credit. Watson and Crick recieved Nobel Prizes. Franklin never did, even though without her contribution, the discovery would not have happened. she died of ovarian cancer because of her work with radiation. she dedicated her life to this work and three men got all the credit.
- James Barry who was a woman who disguised herself as a man to receive respect in the medical community was the first person ever to perform a C-Section where both mother and child survived.
Why do you hate men? They have created philosophy and science and poetry. I bet you HATE Albert Einstein for creating modern theoretical physics when you couldn’t even dream of understanding a tenth of the advanced mathematics that he and thousands of other MALE scientists employ effortlessly. You hate when you could never accomplish.
- A woman invented kevlar, a woman invented the windshield wiper, a woman invented elevated railways, a woman invented the electric water heater, a woman invented the firescape, globes, life rafts, the medical syringe, the rotary engine, the submarine telescope, the circular saw, car heaters„ the disposable cell phone, non reflective glass, the REFRIGERATOR, the spread spectrum, and many other things
- a woman, Maria Mitchell, discovered that sun spots were not a type of cloud, but a separate phenomenon.
- Hypatia of Alexandria around 370 AD was a woman philosopher and scientist, and contributed heavily to the field. she paid for her contributions with her life.
- Barbara McClintock’s work on genetics was so far ahead of the field that her MALE contemporaries didn’t believe it could be true. she later won a Nobel Prize for her work. She discovered how and why bacteria grows resistant to antibiotics.
- Rachel Carson discovered how harmful pesticides were to the environment.
- Lise Meitner was an Austrian Physicist who understood nuclear fission six years before the atomic bomb was developed. she worked with Otto Hahn. he received a Nobel Prize and she didn’t. because she was a woman.
- and let’s not forget Marie Curie who probably was smarter than you could ever hope to be.
- Grace Hopper was credited with devising the first compiler, a program that translates instructions for a computer from English to machine language
- Elizabeth Hazen and Rachel Brown invented Nystatin, the world’s first useful antifungal antibiotic.
- Ada Lovelace wrote a paper in 1843 that anticipated the development of computer software artificial intelligence and computer music.
- Ann Tsukamoto co-patented a process to isolate stem cells
I could go on and on and on and these are just what women have gotten credit for. for years and years and years women were denied patents because THEY WERE WOMEN even if their ideas were brilliant. so MEN ended up getting the CREDIT for inventions that they DID NOT invent.
as for me personally not understanding physics, you are right. i don’t. but i bet you don’t either. and neither do the majority of men. but you know who does? the thousands of women physicists.
Men built everything valuable in the world.
FALSE. men get credit for stealing ideas from women. and then tell us we’re not as good as them because we don’t ‘make’ the same contributions to science as they do even though they are the ones preventing us from doing so. you see the problem here?
rebloggable by request
Sorry but true
First Twinkie-related post from me because FINALLY. Someone’s mentioned the important part.