Shit needs to be changed. You, as Americans, have a say too. Quit bitching on the internet, and do something about it, if you’re able-bodied enough to do so. If not? There are so many ways to reach the President of the US, these days, considering he has a pretty tech saavy street team.
Snail mail!25 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Vote For Obama
1. On December 31, 2011, Obama signed the NDAA, giving him the ability to indefinitely detain any U.S. civilian without charge or trial.
2. Obama supports internet censorship/surveillance. He plans to issue an executive order this year that resembles CISPA if the bill is not passed.
3. Despite his claims, Obama has killed thousands of people, including civilians and children, with drone strikes.
4. The president redefined the word ‘militant’ to mean ‘all military-age males in a strike zone’. This allows him to refer to civilians killed in a drone strike as ‘militants’ to avoid counting civilian deaths.
5. President Barack Obama signed the FAA Air Transportation Modernization and Safety Improvement Act of 2012 earlier this year allowing 30,000 drones to be used on U.S. soil by law enforcement, government agencies, corporations, etc.
7. When a federal judge barred the white house from indefinitely detaining U.S. civilians, the Obama Administration appealed the decision and won the ‘right’ back.
8. The Obama Administration and Lamar Smith (the creator of SOPA) are working together to have FISA renewed*. FISA (Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act) allows the government to electronically eavesdrop on Americans’ phone calls and e-mails without a probable-cause warrant.
9. When ACLU challenged the constitutionality of FISA, the Obama Administration asked the Supreme Court to dismiss the challenge.
11. William Binney, a former official with the National Security Agency, recently said that domestic surveillance in the U.S. has increased under President Obama, and trillions of phone calls, emails and other messages sent by U.S. citizens have been intercepted by the government.
12. Recently, the Obama Administration told a federal court that civilians have no “reasonable expectation of privacy” in cellphone location data, and hence the authorities may obtain documents detailing a person’s movements from wireless carriers without a probable-cause warrant.
13. The Obama Administration argued in court earlier this year that they can spy on U.S. civilians with impunity.
14. Even while denouncing Syria’s dictator, Obama has been arming Bahrain’s dictatorship with weapons that has killed several pro-democracy protesters.
15. When journalist Abdulelah Haider Shaye reported on a U.S. drone strike that killed 14 women, 21 children and more in Yemen, he was arrested and sentenced to 5 years imprisonment. After public outcry, Yemen’s president nearly released Shaye until Barack Obama called him on February 2, 2011 to request Shaye remain imprisoned.
16. Drone strikes have dramatically increased under Obama. From 2000-2008, Bush authorized a drone strike in Pakistan every 28 days. During Obama’s administration, he authorized a drone strike in Pakistan every 6 days.
18. When a group of lawmakers sought documents that proved the Obama Administration illegally sold guns to Mexican drug cartels, Obama invoked executive privilege for the first time to keep to documents hidden.
19. A few months ago, Obama’s trade documents were leaked. The documents revealed the Obama secretly gave big corporations the right to break domestic laws and violate national sovereignty.
20. In 2009, Obama secretly cut a deal with lobbyist group PhRMA to reassure’ that industry would be protected against policies it disliked in exchange for support of the legislation and acceptance of other policies.”
21. President Obama deported undocumented immigrants at a faster rate then any other president in history. He is also close to deporting more undocumented immigrants than Bush did during his 8-year presidency.
22. Obama has been extremely strict when it comes to whistleblowers. In fact, he has indicted more whistleblowers under the Espionage Act than all past administrations combined.
23. Income inequality is worse under Obama than it was under Bush. The 1% received 65% of every dollar created from 2002-2007. The the recovery, 2009-2010, the 1% received 93% of every dollar created.
24. In 2008, Obama promised to increase the federal minimum wage to $9.40/hour. The current minimum wage remains at $7.25.
25. Obama has helped close hundreds of public schools nation-wide and replace them with for-profit charter schools.
Hold him, and his team, accountable- world. It can be done. We can try.
We’re tracking this right now on our voting-problems map.
Remember- as long as you go to the right voting location for your CURRENT address you have the right to vote NO MATTER WHAT.
Don’t let them tell you otherwise! Bring your ID, your proof of address, and other documentation (if required); then if you are told there is a problem, request a PROVISIONAL BALLOT. They have to let you fill one out, and they give you a receipt so you can look it up and make sure that your vote counted.
Let me know if you have any issues or questions, I was a poll manager for 6 elections, so I know my stuff ;-)
VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE
- Stacy (http://wheeliewifee.tumblr.com/)
Joss Whedon on Mitt Romney
I feel the shade coming through the screen
I am less than enamored of Joss Whedon as a person, but this is fucking perfect.
VOTER ALERT! If you live in AZ you need to check your forms - In the corner of the document, it says November 6th in English but in Spanish it reads 8 de Noviembre, the 8th of November.
Election day is November 6th, not November 8th. Please make sure to share this with everyone you know.
Because this is what voter suppression looks like
SHARE SHARE SHARE
Also, can we get a Spanish translation of this to boost, too?
This is all you need to know about Mitt Romney.
My jaw dropped so violently when he said this that it popped.
Holy shit, I thought that was a parody of what he said. He actually said that? For real?
Paul Ryan’s Soup Kitchen Photo Op
According to The Washington Post:
Brian J. Antal, president of the Mahoning County St. Vincent De Paul Society, said that he was not contacted by the Romney campaign ahead of the Saturday morning visit by Ryan, who stopped by the soup kitchen after a town hall at Youngstown State University.
“We’re a faith-based organization; we are apolitical because the majority of our funding is from private donations,” Antal said in a phone interview Monday afternoon. “It’s strictly in our bylaws not to do it. They showed up there, and they did not have permission. They got one of the volunteers to open up the doors.”
He added: “The photo-op they did wasn’t even accurate. He did nothing. He just came in here to get his picture taken at the dining hall.”
Wow, hey, so I am incredibly bothered by this.
Ten-year-old Nadia, whose mother and father were killed in a US drone strike on their house. (via Columbia Human Rights Clinic and the Center for Civilians in Conflict: Civilian Impact of Drones)
Remember Malala, but remember Nadia too. Ten years old. A drone struck her home killing her parents. In other words, remember the violence of the Taliban, but remember the violence of the American President, too.
This is so important especially after the incident involving Pakistani student Malala Yousafzai. I cannot stress upon on how dangerous the rhetoric around this event is considering how many have instantly resorted to support drone attacks. Journalist Urooj Zia states this simply: “Please, stop using the attack on Malala to justify drones. We’ve been ‘droned’ for years now, & freely. Are militants dead? No.”
Incidents like these need to be treated with caution and consideration by media given how the framing of a tragedy (especially a gendered tragedy) leads to the justification of foreign policies that, in the long run, prove to be highly detrimental.
Graphic on Pennsylvania’s voter ID law. Two observations:
1) Asked, but not required. Get the word out to your Pennsylvania people.
2) We’re pretty sure this Pa. voter ID campaign wasn’t actually started with “Nicholas Winkler” in mind.
(via Ryan Reilly)
when guys are like “Hillary Clinton cant run for president her period will mess things up” first of all what a ridiculous...
hannibal lecter could write, produce, and star in a broadway musical announcing the fact that he’s a cannibal...
can you imagine if tommy “hush” elliot took over bruce’s place while he was dead (which he did in streets of gotham)
but took it...
Verse: lit!verse: anachronism
Snippet: Damian thinks about growing pains and maybe...