Hey, It’s the Bat-Family!
It’s the photo-set you’ve been waiting for!
We’ve got mentor figure Matu Ba; black sheep characters Renee Montoya/Question and Helena Bertinelli/Huntress; the character associated with the Young Justice generation, Onyx Adams/Onyx.
Friends to the leader of the first team of Teen Titans, Bette Kane/Flamebird and David Zavimbe/Batwing; of course the big Bat, Kate Kane AKA Batwoman; her love interest Officer Maggie Sawyer; outlier character Jean-Paul Valley/Azrael; next generation character Charlotte Gage-Radcliffe/Misfit; and also the poor cutie who was mistreated and we wish we could see more of but DC hates them: Gavin King/Orpheus.
[You can’t have Matu without David, and you can’t have Kate without Bette. :)]
Batgirls Welcome by Michael ‘Mic?’ Magtanong
from CBR’s The Line it is Drawn
— DC Ladies: Victorian Style, by Michelle Sciuto
I didn’t know there were more of these! I reblogged an earlier set with Steph that served as inspiration for her in the Royal AU.
They’re sort of Victorian-style steampunk without the gears rather than straight Victoriana, don’t you think? Which suits the Gotham’s female vigilantes so much better, frankly. Can you imagine Cass in something like this?
(And as a complete aside, now I’m battling the urge to create an account on Wikipedia, just so I can update their steampunk page to include information on non-victorian styled steampunk. Just because I have Beyond Victoriana bookmarked doesn’t mean this is my responsibility, dammit. *Whine, whine, bitch bitch.* I’ll probably end up doing it.)
The more I think about it, the more I want Tim to be the Riddler AU sidekick because they’re MADE for each other, like, they’d be private detectives and then they’d commit low-level crimes and just be smart together and Tim would keep Eddie from doing Very Bad Things and Eddie would be Tim’s friend because lord knows that kid needs his friends—
AND I made myself sad.
Okay and I really want Dick to be Catlad? Like, I know that’s Tim’s territory but, like, as an AU to the main Catlad AU he’d have ended up as Catlad because flips and shit and also I like really want him and Selina to be best friends/brother-sisterly and she’d take him in and teach him her stuff and then he’d go to college and they’d have such a better relationship than Dick and Bruce have because she’s not a great bag of batdicks.
And Jason I don’t know Jason could be his own criminal turned his own vigilante after he realizes that he wants to help people on top of just surviving and he still ends up the Red Hood but without the negative emotions towards it and he’d be kind of like the Punisher but I mean still Jason? Like, he’d still have the same policies about killing but I can’t decide if he’d be angrier or not? I guess I’d have to flesh out how his life would’ve been different immediately after not getting picked up by Batman.
And I kind of want Steph to inherit Cluemaster and have clever adventures with Tim and Eddie because turns out she’s, like, a junkload smarter than her dad?
And Cass, baby, Cass would be aimless because in this AU Bruce wasn’t taking sidekicks and he wasn’t letting kids run around as heroes, so he never took her in, and so she’s not an assassin, but I don’t even know what she’d be doing?
I like to think she took on an Angel of the Bat-type persona after meeting up with Helena, and she’s not a sidekick, her and Helena are partners, they’re both learning from each other even though that sounds corny and shit but it’s true, like, nobody’s really taking on the mentor role because they’re both experts in some things and dumb in others.
And one day they all end up in the same place at the same time? Like, an abandoned warehouse where they’re all holding a sting because they’re not on speaking terms with each other so it’s not like they’re coordinating this shit.
Steph and Tim are solo just chilling out telling jokes. Dick and Selena are staging a heist because he’s home from college and this is how they bond, dammit. Jason’s looking for blood because he has evidence that the smugglers he’s tracked here are also human traffickers and lol not in my city fuckwads. Cass and Helena are investigating the smuggling ring, but don’t know about the trafficking, so they’re kind of wondering why this guy’s snarling so much and also Jason says ‘bamboozled’ in casual conversation because of course he does.
And then Batman shows up.
And he takes out the smugglers and everyone emerges from their corners and they all stare each other down and then Bruce says something very Bruce-like, “No other vigilantes in my city” or some shit, and Steph starts laughing, no, guffawing because is that really his voice is that what you sound like all the time you dork?
And Tim’s like so you’re the Batman, huh?
And Dick and Selena already know him, so they’re like sup, and Dick turns to Steph and “he literally sounds like that all the time I think it’s stuck” and they cling to each other laughing and Jason’s all /seriousface because he’s an avenger of the innocent, dammit, but oh my shit does that thing on your chest glow in the fucking dark?
And Tim’s staring because he used to read about the fabled Batman when he was a kid and he actually exists? and he’s fangirling just a tad but he can’t let Steph see because then he’d never hear the end of it.
Cass and Helena are chatting with Selena about what losers she got saddled with and Selena’s all “don’t pin this on me I don’t even know the Quiz Team” and Cass is kind of giggling because Jason’s putting his fingers up on either side of his head and growling “I am vengeance, I am the night…” and Dick’s draped himself on a crate twirling his goggles on his finger and smiling and Steph’s punching Tim in the arm because she saw his fangirling, she always sees. And she goes and pokes Jason on the shoulder and hauls herself on his shoulders so she can be the cowl and Steph’s all “GO-GO GADGET BATMAN” and Tim’s like “I think you’re mixing up your references” and Steph’s all “ca-caw” because she can’t think of any bat noises.
And Bruce’s sitting there with his bundle of crooks and what the fuck and why the fuck and how the fuck and dammit he’s got to get home Alfred’s out of town and he doesn’t want to think about what Damian’s doing in the cave and if he’s invited those two kids over again—
This got out of hand and I apologize.
Oh my God, this is awesome! And now I can’t stop thinking about Bruce being a first time Dad with Damian. But maybe it’s not so bad because there isn’t any precedent for Batman allowing kids to fight crime, so he could say “Not until you’re older” and not have it be utterly ridiculous.
Except this time he’d just let Damian be the Hood yes.
How long do you think he’d make Damian wait? Without a precedent and the fact that Tim isn’t there so Damian may not appear quite so blood thirsty right off the bat (though it probably would be apparent relatively quickly, he wouldn’t have tried to kill one of Bruce’s other kids). I feel like Bruce would have kept him grounded for at least a bit, but I’m just not sure how long. And I think that without “competition” Damian would be way more relaxed about it.
I’m also having a hard time deciding exactly how he’d go about parenting Damian without any experience. Without all his previous kids to compare Damian too (intentionally or subconsciously - even if he doesn’t “rank” them, I totally think Bruce isn’t always very good at realizing that his kids sometimes need different things from him), would he be better or worse at bonding? (Less “trying to kill adopted brother” would probably help Bruce bond, right?)
I think of it like, think of his emotional incompetence with Dick and multiply by years—not a few years, YEARS years—and you’ve got the kind of parent he’d be to Damian. Although it’s up in the air when, exactly, he got a hold of Damian.
Still, with no Cock!Robin (THAT’S WHAT I CALL DICK AS ROBIN IT’S A LEGIT POEM LOOK IT UP) as precedent, I’d think a lot of the sidekicks woul’ve started later, if at all. That’s my problem with the DCnU, how they made it so that Dick was 16 when he became Robin, Tim and Jason being around the mid-to-late teens, and then, in continuity, there’s suddenly a ten-year-old running around in this Teen Wonder role.
I don’t think he’d be Robin. Robin—the name, the costume—was Dick’s legacy, it was his mom’s nickname for him and his Flying Grayson’s uniform. So Damian would be something that fit him. I don’t know what that’d be, because I haven’t thought through how different he is in this AU.
I SHALL THINK.
Fuck what the DCnU says, there is no way that Dick was 16. It totally fucks everything up. Especially with Bruce’s and Dick’s relationship. I actually don’t really believe Bruce would have adopted an orphaned 16 year old. I think Dick’s young age was key for the adoption to take place. In my mind, Bruce would have been more likely to ensure that Dick could stay with the circus at 16.
On top of that the emotional impact of Dick being fired is totally different. The difference between being fired after 3 years starting at 16, and after 7 years starting at 12 is huge. Also, 19 year old Dick with only 3 years experience is going to get killed going solo full time. 19 year old Dick with 7 years experience might actually live despite the Titans being gone. Except according the Red Hood he they were his friends at least after being fired…. that makes it worse because really, all of those adventures in 3 years (minus training time)? Really? Plus the possible ones with Kori, Roy and whoever else? Gah!
Plus I thought the kids picked up by the Court of Owls were younger than that? But I haven’t actually gotten around to reading everything about that, so I could be so, so wrong. And I sort of remember there being a few timeline contradictions in Nightwing, but I might be wrong about that as well.
So yeah, I actually cannot believe that Dick was 16.
Tim has a habit of blowing up Ra’s secret lairs, I guess, lol.
"Hey, Ra’s, remember the time I blew up your cruise liner?"
- Jason and Steph are dating, and to all appearance are going to be together till one of them dies.
- He died and was resurrected like in canon. But since the next Robin was Steph, in all her glory, it didn’t sting as much as being replaced by a virtual clone of himself in appearance. He still called her ‘Replacement’, and she has the canon Tim’s scar on her neck.
- Jason calls Steph ‘pretty bird’. Damian’s nickname is ‘baby bat’, and Tim’s is ‘little red’.
- Jason very much enjoys being an older brother to Tim, and passing down all the shit Dick gave him. Which is how the nick name ‘little red’ came about. Dick was Nightwing and called Jason ‘little wing’. Jason is the Red Hood, ergo, Tim’s ‘little red’.
- Jason had help from Talia, like in canon, and still talks to her. He gives her reports on what Tim and Damian are doing, and she gives him advice on how to handle it.
- Timothy al Ghul reminds her a lot of herself before the kidnapping- it makes her protective.
3) Oracle 1) Huntress
Geez, give me the tricky ones.
1. The assassination of the Drakes and the disappearance of their son had an effect on her- It happened right around the time she was trying to get into the police academy. Batgirl was a lot angrier and unforgiving, and a lot more protective of children than her canon counterpart.
2. This also had an effect on the killing joke- The Drake’s murder had seriously shaken her security in her own home, and she kept weapons at hand. Consequently, she had an edge when the Joker broke in. They fought, and Babs severed the femoral artery in his leg. He bled out in her living room.
3. She has bad nightmares about that kill, and it did serious damage to her relationship with Dick and Bruce.
4. She retired as Batgirl because she couldn’t trust herself to hold back on the streets anymore, and took up as Oracle
5. There’s a kid going by StolenSun online, who she discusses the Drake case with every once and awhile. They’ve collaborated on some projects, and she’s considering trying to recruit him.
1. Timothy al Ghul reminds her a lot of herself before the kidnapping- it makes her protective.
2. Tim’s enrolled in her high school for senior year, and takes one of her classes. She’s the one he goes to when he’s confused by American kids.
3. She’s not exactly impressed by the fact that she’s considered on the outs for being violent when Damian of all people is Robin.
4. Helena’s a mob daughter, and the al Ghul siblings are league kids. When they’re in contact, they tend to encourage those traits in each other. This occasionally results in amusing approaches to problem solving, such as when Helena advised Damian that if he was having trouble with bullies, he should get Tim to threaten them.
5. If Tim ever decides to go into the vigilante business, Huntress will be his mentor
KOMATSU!!!!!!!!! PRECIOUS CHILD WHAT AN EXCELLENT
AND JUST LIKE. I LOVE...
- serenity2132 said:Replacement Drabble: Jaime Reyes/Cassandra Cain, mebbe?
((This got a little cracky. Sorry.))
The Scarab had only wanted to help. And since it was a decision dealing with Cass’s body and not his, Jaime...
- pinktala said:14 and 16?
14. What’s the worst writing advice you’ve ever come across?
Nothing specific, but there’s a general note of how to be a “good and gracious fan...
- dragonseidr said:I'm watching Sailor Moon for the first time and at this point (sailor moon s) the only one of the inner senshi I can really see as straight is Minako, but even then, I don't know. They seem like a bunch of bi girls, but maybe that's just wishful thinking. How do you see them?
They’re all queer. Minako may come off as straight in the anime, but in the manga she is queer as fuck. Here’s how I see them.
Usagi- bi (I was...